HOW TO | SUPER EASY DUTCH APPLE CAKE
This recipe is quick and super easy to make. Simply baked to perfection you will get yourself a moist light sponge cake with the taste of layered firm apples. Spiced with cinnamon, lemon zest and topped with apricot jam makes it a fruity delight. The dark rum gives it a naughty twist. A keeper!
What you need:
- 100g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 190g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 175ml milk
- 3 Braeburn apples (Pink Lady works as well) - peeled, cored and each cut into wedges
- 2 shots of dark rum (leave out if you don't want to be naughty)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 50g of raisins
- 2 heaped tbsp of apricot jam
How to prepare:
- Sieve flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Put apple wedges in a bowl and add lemon zest and juice of half a lemon.
- Add 2 shots of dark rum, 50gr of raisins and 1 tbsp of cinnamon powder to the apple mixture. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and 200g sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour mix alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mix.
- Line a 20cm/8 inch baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Spread the cake mixture into tin.
- Gently press apple wedge mixture into the cake in circles, make sure to press raisins under the dough to prevent them from burning.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 50 to 60 minutes or until apples are tender and cake is done. Just test with a skewer and it should come out dry.
- Leave to cool on a rack for 15 minutes and spread the apricot jam on top.
- Serve with a generous scoop of Bears Ice Cream.The Jersey Milk, Salted Caramel Version 6 and Mango Sorbet will pair extremely well with this lovely moist cake.