Eating stale bread for dessert? Seriously!
Happy to share Mr. Bear's take on the Classic bread and butter pudding. We can't get enough of this comforting dessert. No matter the weather, at Bears we love a tasty bread and butter pudding with our ice creams all year round. Custardy on the inside and golden on the top. Jazzed up with orange peel, Marmelade and dark choc buttons. Easy on the wallet and comforting for the soul. This Bears take on the Classic British bread and butter pudding is super easy and quick to make.
What you need:
- 1 loaf white bread
- zest from 1 orange
- 130g unsalted butter
- 10 egg yolks
- 300ml cream
- 800ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod or some vanilla essence
- 140g soft dark sugar
- 1/2 jar marmalade
- 100g dark choc chips
- 30g demerara sugar (optional)
- round oven dish 26cm/10inch and 6cm high
How to prepare:
- Remove the bread from the pack and remove the crusts. If you have time do this the day before and leave to dry out. The staler the better.
- Liberally butter the bread.
- In a pan warm the milk, cream, orange zest and the split and scraped vanilla pod.
- In a mixing bowl place the egg yolks and soft dark sugar and whisk together.
- Place a layer of buttered bread at the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add blobs of marmalade on top, sprinkle with chocolate chip pieces.
- Repeat this 4 times.
- Pour milk/cream mix onto the eggs and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour onto the slice bread, it should come roughly 75% the height of the bread.
- With the back of a spoon push the bread down, leave this to sit for 10 mins pushing down a couple of times.
- Now the bread will have soaked up the milk/cream mixture.
- Bake at 175C for roughly 25mins.
- When it is finished sprinkle with demerara sugar and place under the grill for a couple of mins to caramelise the top.
Alterations? Don't like choc, marmalade, get creative. Different jams will work well. Want to go more traditional add currants and sultanas.
Feeling extra dangerous? Use brioche, panettone, sourdough or croissants instead of white bread.
This dessert literally goes with every single ice cream from the Bears Scoop Club range, but we think the Hot Cross Bun Marmelade, The Jersey Milk one and The Salted Caramel Version 6 particularly pair well.